By Bissan Ghaith, Registered Dietitian
Happy (first day of) fall! You know what that means- bring out the apples, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice! This is a great time of year to try new seasonal dishes and treats.
Why Apples Are Awesome!
- Good source of both soluble and insoluble fiber which helps keep you feeling full longer
- Soluble fibre dissolves in water and has been linked to lowering cholesterol and maintaining blood sugar levels
- Insoluble fibre adds bulk to your stools and keeps your bowels moving!
- Good source of antioxidants including Vitamin C
- Available year-round
- Lots of local options and varieties available
- Have a long shelf life
- You can pick your own
- Can be prepared in many ways
- Apples pair well with other foods 🙂
Bissan’s Top 12 Apple Recipes This Fall:
- Apple berry crisp – Perfect for those unexpected guests stopping by at your porch this fall.
- Breakfast apple cinnamon muffin – Try this kid-friendly recipe that is easy for when you are on-the-go.
- Apple pie bars – A quick seasonal pre-workout snack to share with your activity partners.
- Homemade apple cider -Give your Crockpot a whole new purpose with this thirst-quenching recipe!
- Apple rose dessert – Impress your guests with this highly presentable and totally Instagram-worthy treat.
- Kale and apple salad – A twist on the classic Waldorf salad.
- Apple butternut squash soup – Warm up with this savory apple flavoured soup.
- Loaded apple nachos – 100% cool and a must-try!
- Baked apples – loaded with oats, nuts, ground flax seeds, and maple syrup (Try skipping the brown sugar filling to limit the amount of added sugar).
- Apple pie oatmeal cookies– A soft and chewy treat that’s full of cinnamon and fruit flavours.
- Apple pie oatmeal– Take your breakfast game to the next level with this quick and energizing everyday meal.
- Apple Chips with a Greek yogurt dip! (This combination is perfect for those who like a sweet and savory high protein snack).
Are you looking for creative ideas and healthy modifications for your meal planning and prep this fall?
Book a 20-minute complimentary call with Bissan Ghaith, RD today and find out how she can support you! https://nutriprocan.janeapp.com/locations/virtual-location/book#/staff_member/37/treatment/67